Monday, August 8, 2011

Day one - BREAKING IN

I arrived in Chennai at 8:30 in the morning where a taxi driver was going to greet me. All I had to do was find my name on the paper he was holding up. The only problem was, there were at least 50 taxi drivers that were all piled together holding up peoples names. I didn't see my name. Thank goodness I had my phone on me and Matt was able to call the taxi driver and communicate that way where I was. I finally found the right taxi driver where the adventure began the moment I slammed the door shut to the car.
Indian driving is CRAZY CHAOS! Forget the lines they have perfectly marked on the road to show where the cars are SUPPOSED to be, they drive ANYWHERE there is space. Cars, buses, bulls, cows, dogs, horses, people, families of five stacked on the back of a motorcycle, and bicycles all share the narrow roads. When driving in india, DON'T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT A GOOD HORN! They honk their horns constantly. This horn honking is a language in and of itself. They have no speed limit I am aware of. THEY make the rules of driving.
I latter learned India has the most deadliest car accidents in the world. If you are one of the unfortunate ones that gets in an accident, the moment you can RUN FOR YOUR LIFE! Tradition has it that the witnesses and the other vehicle involved will come over and beat you until you are dead. Especially if you have killed an animal or a person. This is their justice and the cops don't do anything about it. And if you happen to be lucky enough to not get beaten up by others, don't expect an ambulance to come get you and take you to a hospital, cause that is little and few in-between.
After a very exciting two hour car ride, I finally reached my final destination: Rising Star Outreach Campus. I was greeted by Derek in which he allowed me to take a shower. I am now 'rough out camping' it. The toilets are a hole in the floor. the showers are bucket showers with luke warm water if you are lucky. (actually the cold showers feel good here because it is so hot everywhere) After that, I was put to work. I had 'education' day my first day. It was really fun to associate and meet the kids.
After education, we had some down time then I was really introduced to the kids during play time from 4:30 - 6:30. We go and play games with them. They jump on me and always want to play tag with me and I am the one that is always it running around chasing them. I better have lost some weight by the time I get back to the states with all this running! ;-)
I think the most memorable moment of my first night would be when we went to visit our families. We are assigned to a dorm room. Our dorm room is a room full of boys from age 5 - 16 years old. I was complaining earlier about how hard the beds were for us to sleep on here. Then I saw what the boys sleep on at the houses. They only have three rooms. The floors are cement. That is where they sleep. They only have a straw mat that they lay down to sleep on. They don't have any pillows. They probably don't know what those are. They don't see their parents all but once a month. But they are still the most cheerful, grateful kids I have meet. They are so positive. This was a big reminder to not take things for granted. I am so grateful for this experience. I look forward to more exciting adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment